James Hedges of Ohio in Army registers, 1812-1815
The federal military career of James Hedges (Mansfield, Richland, Ohio) in the War of 1812, as given in United States Army register lists. James was in the regular army and not in the state militia, though he may have been in the militia after the War of 1812.
Based on the registers below, the general outline of James' Army career is:
- 1812 (12 March): First Lieutenant, Second Regiment Light Dragoons. Appointed in Ohio. Dragoons led by Colonel James Burn.
- 1812 (18 December): 1st Lieutenant, 2nd Light Dragoons. Wounded at Mississienway River Ind.
- 1814 (21 April): 1st Lieutenant, 2nd Light Dragoons: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Promoted to Captain, 26th U.S. Infantry (Burlington, Vermont), led by Colonel Isaac Clark [briefly known as the 48th Infantry]
- 1814 (26 July) - 1815 (27 March): Captain, 26th Infantry. On Recruiting service in Pennsylvania (Harrisburg & Philadelphia).
- 1815 (15 June): Captain, 26th Infantry. Honorably discharged.
1813 Army Register
James Hedges entry, pages 17-18; The Army Register of the United States (1 December 1813); Adjutant General of the Fourth Military District; digitized by Boston Public Library (https://archive.org/stream/officialarmyregi1813unit#page/18/mode/1up).
- Section: Corps of Engineers and regiment of Light Artillery.
- Second Regiment Light Dragoons, under Colonel James Burn.
- First Lieutenant: James Hedges, 6 July, 1812
1837 Army Register Compilation
James Hedges entry, page 32; A compilation of registers of the Army of the United States, from 1815 to 1837 (1837); U.S. War Department; digitized by University of California Libraries (https://archive.org/stream/compilationofreg00gordrich#page/32/mode/1up).
- Section: Promotions to October 1814, Corrections to 1 January 1815
- Twenty-Sixth Infantry (Vermont), under Colonel Isaac Clark
- Captain: James Hedges, 21 April 1814
1900 Lists of Army Officers
James Hedges entry, pages 57, 74, 115, 129; List of officers of the army of the United States from 1779 to 1900 (1900); U.S. Army; digitized by University of California Libraries (https://archive.org/stream/listofficers00powerich#page/57/mode/1up).
- Section: List of Army Officers, 1812-1813 (page 57)
- Second Regiment of Light Dragoons, Additional Military Force, under Colonel James Burn
- First Lieutenant.: James Hedges, Ohio, 12 March 1812
- Section: List of Officers of the Army, 1813 (page 74)
- Second Light Dragoons under Colonel James Burn
- 1st Lieutenant.: James Hedges, 6 July 1812
- Section: List of Officers of the Army, 1814 (page 115)
- Captains: April 1814
- I. [J.?] Hedges, 48th Infantry
- Section: List of Officers of the Army, 1814 (page 129)
- Twenty-Sixth Infantry (Vermont) under Colonel Isaac Clark
- Captains: : James Hedges, 21 April 1814
1903 Historical Register, Volume 1
James Hedges entry, page 520; Historical register and dictionary of the United States Army from 1789 to 1903, Volume 1 (1903); Government Printing Office; digitized by Google (https://archive.org/stream/historicalregis03heitgoog#page/n486/mode/1up).
- Part 2: Complete Alphabetical List of Commissioned Officers of the Army, September 29, 1789, to March 2, 1903.
- Hedges, James. Ohio. 1 lt 2 drgs 12 Mar 1812; capt 26 inf 21 Apr 1814; hon dischd 15 June 1815.
1903 Historical Register, Volume 2
James Hedges entry, page 25; Historical register and dictionary of the United States Army from 1789 to 1903, Volume 2 (1903); Government Printing Office; digitized by University of California Libraries (https://archive.org/stream/historicalregist02heitrich#page/25/mode/1up).
- Part 3: Alphabetical List of Officers of the Regular Army Killed, Wounded, or Taken Prisoner in Action, 1789 to 1902.
- Hedges, James, 1 lt 2 lht drgs, 18 Dec 1812, Mississienway River Ind, wounded
1956 Registers of Enlistments
James Hedges entries 2869 & 2870, page 261; Registers of Enlistments in the United States Army, 1798-1914 (1956); Volume 11 (1798-May 17, 1815: H); National Archives Microfilm M233, Roll 6; digitized FamilySearch Microfilm #350312; image 273 of 634 (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-26866-2731-2).
- Section: Records of Men Enlisted in the U.S. Army Prior to the Peace Establishment, May 17, 1815
- 2869: 1 Lt. U.S. Dragoons
- Register Inspector Generals office 1812/13.
- See James Hedges 26th U.S. Inf.
- 2870: Capt. 26 U.S. Infantry
- R. R. Burlington [Vermont], April 1813 [year likely 1814, not 1813], on duty at Harrisburg [Pennsylvania]. Book 424, Ordered to Harrisburg, Penn 26 July 1814. On Recruiting service. R. R. Harrisburg 10 Sep 1814, present. R. R. 17 & 30 Sep 1814, Recruiting at Harrisburg. R. R. 1 & 29 Jan 1815, Recruiting at Philadelphia [Pennsylvania]. Officers Report book 27 Jan & Mar 1815. From Burlington, Vt. to Harrisburg, Penn.
- See James Hedges, U.S. Dragoons
- 2869: 1 Lt. U.S. Dragoons