Obituary of Harry Lazarus from Southern Israelite (Georgia) in 1946
An obituary for Harry Lazarus of Valdosta, Georgia from 1946. Updated with a link to his tombstone (#140489554) on FindAGrave).
Citation and Online Images
"Harry Lazarus, 84, Dies at Valdosta," obituary, Southern Israelite, (Atlanta, Georgia, United States), 6 December 1946, p. 2, col. 3; digital images; The Digital Library of Georgia (http://israelite.galileo.usg.edu/israelite/view?docId=news/asi1946/asi1946-0784.xml : accessed 2014). [Requires a Djvu plugin to view, but the plugin is free to download and easy to install if you're on Mac or Windows.]
Transcript of Obituary [paragraphs and lists added]
VALDOSTA, Ga., Nov. 19 - Harry Lazarus, 84, well-known resident of Valdosta since 1908, died at his home Nov. 18.
Funeral services were held Nov. 19 at the Jewish Synagogue.
Mr. Lazarus is survived by
- his wife,
- three sons,
- Louis, of Valdosta;
- Sam of Brewton, Ala., and
- William of Trenton, Fla.;
- five daughters,
- Mrs. Lucille Taylor and Mrs. Myrtle Waters, of Quitman;
- Mrs. Ann Zelkind, of Lake City, Fla.;
- Miss Rose Lazarus, of Valdosta, and
- Mrs. Ethel Hopkins, of Brewton, Ala.;
- six brothers,
- William Lazarus, of Sparks, Ga.;
- Louis Lazarus, of Moultrie;
- Israel and Philip Lazarus, of Quitman, and
- Sam and Joe Lazarus, of Valdosta;
- three sisters,
- Mrs. Sarah Michelson, Perry, Fla.;
- Mrs. Fred [Frieda?] Rosenberg of Jacksonville, Fla., and
- Mrs. Reba Bohrmam, of Lake City, Fla.,
- and five grandchildren.
Mr. Lazarus was born in Lithuania and came to live in this country 61 years ago. He came directly to South Georgia and lived in this section until his death.
During his long residence here he was engaged in the merchandise business. Ill health forced his retirement from active business several years ago.