Obituaries of Joseph M. Pence from the Columbia City (Indiana) Post in 1936
1. "J. M. Pence dies at home of his son", obituary of Joseph M. Pence, Columbia City (Whitley, Indiana) Post, 1936 March 13 (Friday evening), page 1, column 7; microfilmed newspaper, Peabody Public Library, Columbia City, Indiana.
2. "Funeral of Joseph Pence held Sunday", obituary of Joseph M. Pence, Columbia City (Whitley, Indiana) Post, 1936 March 16, page 1; microfilmed newspaper, Peabody Public Library, Columbia City, Indiana.
Transcript of March 13th Obituary [paragraphs and lists added]
Joseph M. Pence, 84, prominent Smith township farmer, died at 7:15 o'clock this morning [13 March] at the home of his son, Arthur A. Pence, northeast of Collins. Death was due to the complications accompanying old age.
Mr. Pence, a life-long farmer, was a native of this county, born February 24, 1852, to John and Sarah Strein Pence.
He was married to Nancy Ann Hedges, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Hedges. His wife, however, preceded ... [next line obscured on microfilm].
- two sons,
- Arthur A. Pence, at whose home he died, and
- Melvin Pence, of Yakima, Wash.;
- a sister, Mrs. Sarah Swigart, of Scottsbluff, Neb.;
- two half-sisters,
- Mrs. S. L. Hout, of Goshen, and
- Mrs. W. L. Deems, of Smith township,
- also twelve grandchildren.
Preceding him in death besides his wife was
- a son, Heber J. Pence;
- a sister, Mrs. Ella Baker;
- a half-sister, Nettie Hedges, and
- a half-brother, Virgil Pence.
He was a member of the Blue River Methodist Episcopal church.
Mr. Pence was for many years prominent in Smith township affairs and was counted as one of the community's valuable citizens.
The body, brought to Luckenbill's Sons Funeral Home here, will remain at the funeral home until the time of the funeral.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday [15 March] in the Blue River M. E. church and burial will be made in the church cemetery.
Transcript of March 16th Obituary [paragraphs and lists added]
Short funeral services were held Sunday afternoon [15 March] at 2 o'clock at the Luckenbill Mortuary for the late Joseph Pence and services followed at the Blue River Methodist Church the Rev. V. L. Garner officiating.
Hymns were sung by
- Mrs. Asa White,
- Miss Evelyn White and
- Kenneth White.
They were accompanied at the piano by Mrs. Thurlo Burd.
Flower bearers were
- Paul, Betty and Billy Pence and
- Charles Garner.
The pall bearers were
- Alonzo Smith,
- William Black,
- Homer Shafer,
- Cleveland Linvill,
- Willis Rhoads and
- Albert Crabill.
Interment took place in the church cemetery.
Those present at the funeral rites from a distance were
- Mr. and Mrs. Norman Nestle,
- Mrs. Virgil Pence and Miss Vera Pence, Fort Wayne, and
- Mrs. M. C. Pence, Yakima, Wash.