Obituary of Mary Amanda (Oppert) Herring from Columbus Enquirer (Georgia) in 1937
Obituary for Mary Amanda (Oppert) Herring of Dothan, Alabama and Columbus, Georgia from 1937.
"Mrs. Amanda Herring", obituary of Mary Amanda Oppert, 8 March 1937 (Monday), page 7, col. 2; Columbus Enquirer, newspaper; Muscogee, Georgia, United States.
Transcript [formatting added]
Mrs. Amanda Herring, 69 [born about 1868], a former resident of Dothan, Ala., who had been making her home in Columbus [Georgia] for the past two months, died Sunday afternoon [7 March] at 4:35 o'clock at her residence, 1319 [number unclear] Forty-fifth street, after an illness of three days.
- her husband, Columbus Herring;
- seven sons,
- Lesley, Floyd, and James of Columbus;
- W. H. and Fred, of Dothan;
- Rudolph, of Headland, Ala.
- and L. P. Herring, of Birmingham;
- one daughter, Mrs. Taylor Jones, of Montgomery;
- one brother, Jim Appert [sic], of Ozark, Ala.;
- two sisters,
- Mrs. Ella Tew, Headland,
- and Mrs. Maggie Lazarus, of Valdosta, Ga.;
- several nieces and nephews;
- 23 grandchildren
- and one great-grandchild.
The remains were shipped by Britton & Dobbs last night to Dothan, Ala., where funeral service and interment will be held this afternoon [8 March], from Mt. Enon Baptist church, Rev. H. J. Smith, of Columbus, officiating. Mrs. Herring was a member of the Baptist church.